Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Wednesday, September 18

Jon is making great progress! Although he can be loopy (thanks for the good adjective, MK), he recognizes his visitors and engages them in very entertaining (if not disjointed) conversations. He recognized Mandy right away and quickly (and correctly) associated her with Ned (i.e., Nate) Reierson.

Here is a cute picture of us. You'll notice that his haircut is still uneven (I hear you all loud and clear, I just need an electric shaver!). Carmelita, his nursing assistant, shaved his beard and left him a little mustache, which will also have to go (sorry, Carmelita!).


Next step: Camp Rehab. He should leave the hospital in a day or so. He's definitely getting antsy -- sure he needs to pick up the kids somewhere. Unfortunately, there is no room at the rehab in Vallejo, so they have suggested Santa Clara Valley Rehab Center in San Jose. I think it's affiliated with Dr. "Devastating Brain Injury" (a neurosurgeon at Stanford), so, of course, it is the best in the WORLD. They also specialize in TBIs. However, the location might not be as convenient for the East Bay family. We'll keep you posted. I have packed his bag (and labeled all his clothes with a permanent marker, as instructed). Jon asked if he'll have a bunk mate.

15 comments:

  1. So glad to hear the steady progress. Thinking of you all. Waves of health always your way!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this photo! You guys are so amazing together. Sending you both lots of love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear about the great progress! Too bad he won't be in Vallejo. But here's hoping that Camp Rehab has Dr. "DBI"'s expertise with the teamwork and bedside manner of the Redwood City Kaiser folks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love every bit of this! Very good news! He looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praise God! Checking your blog everyday. Good to see Jon's great progress. Hurray for Jon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eli que felicidad, que se encuentre mucho mejor. Me alegra el alma verlos a los dos sonreĆ­r.
    besos y mucha fuerza.
    Te quiero mucho.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So happy to see Jon on his feet!!! Thinking of you both and sending love every single day. Thank you so much for the pictures and ongoing posts, I look forward to them and positive thoughts are always with me for Jon's complete recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  8. HURRAY for our team!!!!! So wonderful to see your smiles. I think Jon will be so relieved to start the rehab even though it will be frustrating at first, I am sure. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This makes me happy! Thanks so much for your posts everyday. Brian and I think he should keep the stache! xo, Chrissy and Brian

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this photo!! And so glad to hear about all the progress!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for sharing this blog, Ellie! We are all rooting for Jon, and are glad to know that you have the support of your loving family and friends nearby. We'll be reading and thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ellie -- this picture, and what you have written here - makes me SO happy!! so much love to you both! yay! also he doesn't look so bad...!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad to hear this news! We have hair clippers if you need them. Love the picture. Sending lots of love!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Woohoo! You guys look great and even with the crazy haircut Jon still has both better, and more, hair than I do.

    So very happy to see you both smiling and doing well.

    Love, Brock and Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jon/Ellie -- I just heard! And I am so happy to see that he is progressing back to health. Your included in our thoughts and prayers! Love Taryn & the fam

    ReplyDelete