Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Tuesday, October 1

Aloha everyone! Thanks for checking in. We've placed web pixels on your computer and know who each and every one of you are. Thank you again. This is Jon G writing again (respectful applause is appreciated). I'm doing better every day but still a bit wobbly and an old curmudgeon sometimes. My walking has improved dramically and I can now walk in a general direction by myself without any major problems, provided there is no on else anywhere near me, no turns, no curbs, steps or other changes in elevation or detours of any kind. Generally, I'm solid. The thought of getting out for a run, bike or swim makes me woozy. Who knows when I'll be able to get back. The Eastbound and Down writers keep pushing me for a date but I don't have one. Soon! My other malady is my memory. I've been working on the short-term for a while with the therapists and have made slight progress. They continue to stump me with hard questions like, "When did I see you last?". My memory has generally improved though.

My improvement has not gone unnoticed by the staff here at Santa Clara Valley Medical Center, and my latest discharge date is Saturday, October 5th. I will still be in therapy for many months after that date and may return to a hospital if any major maladies return. Going home will be very very nice though, and I look forward to the time that I can spend with my family without the watchful eye of a nurse. My balance, memory and stability must improve prior to my departure, but I think I'm on track. I should be at home if anyone wants to visit or drop off some fresh-baked popovers. Cross my fingers. I will miss the generally sympathetic and friendly nurses here but not many other things from SCVMC. It's always good to go home.
JG

14 comments:

  1. Yeah! Jon, so happy to hear you will be coming home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Sir, you definitely deserve to head home! Hope that happens for you soon! Take Care Buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome to hear your voice! Can't wait to see you and take in that long-awaited Warriors game with you soon! Much love from Clovis ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's wonderful news, Jon! I look forward to seeing you soon in SF! Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jon, it's great to see your sense of humor shining through. Will be so great to see you back in SF! -Allison

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best update yet! Can't wait to see you in the hood. We'll start baking the popovers...

    ReplyDelete
  7. It IS good to hear your "voice." I can only imagine how great it will feel to be in your own kitchen, living room, bathroom & bed!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jon, great to hear your progress and stoked you'll be headed home soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Jon and Elizabeth, I am delighted and encouraged by Jon's progress and so happy that going home is only a few days away. Nothing's better than home! I continue to pray for you all and send lots of love. Ann Pearson

    ReplyDelete
  10. JG - So happy to learn you are almost home - I haven't caught up with you in what seems like forever, but happy to see that your wit and sense of humor certainly haven't changed! Sie sind glücklich - Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's great news, Jon! Can't wait to visit you at home. And just let me know when you want to go on a date with Ellie, I'll baby sit the kids ;)

    Tanja

    ReplyDelete
  12. How great it's been recently to see Jon's voice pop up here! We are cheering you on and wishing you all the best. I hope this weekend sees you enjoying a safe and speedy return home. Take care! -- David and Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been following silently til now, but have been thinking of you since hearing the news. So glad you are going home!

    ReplyDelete